It was Italian Heritage Night at Madison Square Garden on Friday, and a couple of Italians put on a show. Andrea Bargnani put up 24 points and 12 rebounds as the Raptors held off the New York Knicks 112-104. Bargnani nailed four triples in the opening quarter to help the Raptors build a 19-point lead in the first. New York's Italian forward, Danilo Gallinari, had 26 points for the Knicks. And unfortunately, Marco Belinelli was DNP for Toronto.
This game looked had the makings of a Raptors-Pacers matchup, with a hot start from the Raptors that would eventually fizzle out in the second half. The Raps had built up a 24-point lead at the half but the Knicks made a run to get as close as eight in the fourth quarter with the help of New York's Al Harrington. The Raps showed composure though, and maintained the lead for the rest of the game.
DeMar DeRozan got some extended minutes in the final quarter, as Triano gave DeMar some extra run in this one. DeMar didn't disappoint either, as he got to the FT line 14 times. Jose had 21 points off of the Raps' bench and Bosh had 18 points.
Al Harrington led the Knicks with 31 points as the Knicks' sixth man. David Lee has a monster line with almost a triple dub, 24 points, 14 rebounds and 9 assists.
- Decent shooting night from the Raps, 53% from the floor and 54% from the three point line
- Ha! During introductions, the Knicks announcer said Bargnani was from Spain
- Gallinari was 5-10 from three pt land
- The Knicks never held the lead during the game
- For a Knicks perspective, check out Posting and Toasting
- DeRozan Watch: 29 minutes, 19 pts, 11-14 from the FT line, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and another highlight alley oop jam:
Next up, Raps face off against former Raptor, Shawn Marion, and his Dallas Mavericks...
Photo credit: (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)